TOEFL iBT 100
Bạn có muốn phản ứng với tin nhắn này? Vui lòng đăng ký diễn đàn trong một vài cú nhấp chuột hoặc đăng nhập để tiếp tục.
TOEFL iBT 100

Welcome to TOEFL iBT 100 forum !

Trang ChínhLatest imagesTìm kiếmĐăng kýĐăng Nhập

Inference questions

Go down 
2 posters
Tác giảThông điệp
nguyenducphuong

Tổng số bài gửi : 20

Inference questions Empty
Bài gửiTiêu đề: Inference questions   Inference questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 9:55 pm

Directions: Read each sentence or short passage and choose the answer choice that is a valid inference based on the information that you read.
1. If a metal worker from 3,000 years ago could somehow travel forward in time, he would recognize virtually every step of the lost-wax process that today is used to cast titanium for jet engines.
A. Titanium has been forged for thousands of years
B. The lost-wax method of casting metal is very old
C. Metalworking has changed very little in 3,000 years

2. When apple growers talk about new varieties of apples, they don't mean something developed last month, last year, or even in the last decade.
A. Apple growers have not any new varieties in recent decades.
B. Some varieties of apples can be developed in a short time, but others take a long time
C. New varieties of apples take a long time to develop

3. High levels of serum cholesterol used to be thought of as a problem only for adults
A. High levels of serum cholesterol are no linger a problem for adults
B. Only children have a problem with high levels of serum cholesterol
C. High serum cholesterol affects both adults and children

4. Alpha Centauri, one of the closest stars to Earth, is just 4.3 light years away. It can be seen only from the Southern Hemisphere. However, the closest star (other than our own Sun, of course) is a tiny red star, Proxima Centauri, which is not visible without a telescope.
A. Proxima Centauri is the closest star to Earth
B. Alpha Centauri is invisible from Earth without a telescope
C. Proxima Centauri is closer than 4.3 light years from the Earth

5. Compared with the rest of its brain, the visual area of a turtle's brain is quite small, since turtles, like all other reptiles, depend mainly on senses other than sight
A. No reptile uses sight as its primary sense
B. Animals that depend on sight all have larger visual areas in their brain than turtles do.
C. The visual area of other reptiles' brains is smaller than that of turtles

6. An old but still useful proverb says, "Beware of oak, it draws the stroke". In general, trees with deep roots that tap into groundwater attract more lightning than do trees with shallow, dry roots. Oak are fifty times more likely to be struck than beeches. Pines are not as safe as beeches but are still much safer than oaks.
A. The roots of oaks are fifty times deeper than those of beeches
B. Pine's roots are deeper than beeches', but not as deep as those of oaks
C. The deeper the root, the safer the tree.
Về Đầu Trang Go down
matchia

Tổng số bài gửi : 11

Inference questions Empty
Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Inference questions   Inference questions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:59 am

I 'll try your exercise.
Please check it for me. Thanks !

1 - C
2 - B
3 - C
4 - C (it's bit confused between A & C but the true answer is C, of course it 's my opinion)
5 - B
6- C (maybe wrong because I don't find details about it but I believe that A&B are actually wrong answers)
Về Đầu Trang Go down

Inference questions
Về Đầu Trang 
Trang 1 trong tổng số 1 trang